Women duped by Met undercover officers win high court ruling
2 July 2014
Women claiming damages from the Metropolitan police after being tricked into forming sexual relationships with undercover officers have won a legal victory in the high court in their ongoing battle for compensation.
Mr Justice Bean said on Wednesday that the Met could no longer rely on issuing a “neither confirm nor deny” NCND response to the claims for damages from the women.
The Met has previously issued the response to the claims, asserted a general denial and claimed it was not liable. But the force has not provided any defence to the allegations that the women were duped into having relationships with their officers operating undercover.
The judge said the Met would not be entitled to rely on the policy of NCND in relation to whether an individual “is or was an undercover officer” in order to avoid pleading to the allegations made by the claimants either generally – that Met officers, as part of their work, used false identities to engage in long-term intimate relationships with those whose activities they wished to observe
– or the specific allegations made by three of the women in respect of two officers known to them at the time as Jim Sutton and Bob Robinson.